Thursday, December 3, 2015

Teacher Intern Experience

This past semester, I have been a student intern at two elementary schools. I have taught three lessons at Chicod Elementary School in Greenville, North Carolina. I worked with 2nd grade at Chicod. I taught these students about morals of fables, text features, and conjunctions. The other school I interned at was H.B. Sugg Elementary School. At this school, I taught a guided reading lesson and I taught three lessons on changing numbers. Being a student intern taught me that it is important to be resourceful and use everyday objects to create classroom resources. Below I will be discussing some of the creations I have made for my lessons this semester.

During my lessons at Chicod, I utilized a word wall. I created my own word wall using things that I had at my apartment. This word wall was very durable and cute. The students were able to pin the words onto the word wall with push pins during the lesson. This interactive take on a word wall got the students involved with the words and also served as a reference for them during the lesson.

The word wall I created......


What you will need.....
1. A corkboard
2. Stapler
3. Glue stick
4. Scissors
5. Construction paper
6. Bulletin board trim
7. Colorful pre-cut letters (you can find them at any craft store, but you can cut your own if you are feeling crafty)

How to make your word wall....
1. Staple down the construction paper to cork part of the corkboard. Cut the excess paper to fit the corkboard.
2. Measure and cut bulletin board trim to fit the edges of the cork board. Staple the bulletin board trim along the edges of the corkboard. 
3. Arrange the letters for the words "Word Wall" on the corkboard wherever you like (I preferred mine at the top) and glue them down using the glue stick. 
4. Your word wall is complete! You can use index cards to write your words for each lesson and let the students use push pins to pin the word to the wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment